Monday, December 06, 2004

St. Nick's

This morning, "St. Nick" visited our house. Corey got a bunch of candy and some markers. He was so excited!

Today is also his day for show and tell at school. We talked him into taking his Leappad learning toy. It's the letter of the alphabet and it plays music and sounds out the letters and will even spell words. He gets a kick out of pressing the same letter over and over again, so for instance, it goes "e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e" as he keeps pressing the "e" button. Corey can identify the letters in his name and on a regular keyboard, knows where they are and can type his name. I'm trying to teach him his last name now. C's and K's are hard, because he doesn't yet understand how they can make different sounds.
The thing that really trips me out is the fact that he can sign his name in sign language. I learned sign language when I was in grade school because my second grade teacher's daugher was deaf and she taught the class to sign the alphabet. A while back, I taught Corey how to sign his name and he hasn't forgotten how to do it. It gives me a feeling of incredible pride that I actually taught him something that could be useful someday!

No comments: