It was a rough night last night. Corey didn't want to go to bed last night and it was about 10:00 before he finally settled down and went to sleep. I was extremely tired yesterday for some reason,and it was everything I could do to get myself ready for bed. I fell asleep pretty quickly after I knew Corey was asleep. About 10:45, I heard crying and woke up and realized that Corey was in the bed with me. He was crying and I just assumed that he had a bad dream. After a few pats on the back and attempting to calm him down, he just went ballistic...throwing his body around and twisting up and crying and whimpering and basically just freaking out! I tried my best to calm him down and see what the deal was, but it just seemed to make it worse. I finally got out of him that his ear hurt. I don't know if it was because he slept wrong or because it's the beginning of a cold or what. No fever, no other symptoms, just a insistence that his ear hurt. I tried to reason with him and get him to calm down, but he wasn't having none of it. He didn't want medicine or a drink or anything and got himself so upset and worked up that he was on the verge of hyperventilating. Of course, Jerry was at work, so I attempted to diffuse the situation as best I could. I finally got frustrated and started crying myself and told Corey that I just wanted to help him and that I didn't know what to do for him. Of course....he wanted daddy. I had no choice but to call Jerry at work and tell him to come home. Fortunately, he was walking out the door. I had to stand at the window by the driveway with Corey in my arms and watch for the truck to appease Corey that daddy was in fact coming home. Jerry being home seemed to help Corey a little bit, but it still took a while to calm him down. We got some motrin down him and he finally fell asleep around 11:30. I was all wigged out at that point, so it was a rough rest of the evening. When all you want to do is take the hurt away and makes things better and your child wants nothing to do with you, it tears you up. Corey has always favored daddy over me, so I guess I should be used to it by now, but I'm not. It's like Corey knows that the motherly instinct in me is not as strong as it should be. I know I'm too hard on myself and he's only 4, but it still hurts nonetheless.
This morning, it was a little tough getting Corey up, but he said he felt fine and his ear felt fine and he was ready to go to school. It was definately a strange experience.
Friday, December 10, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment