Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Sensitive

Why is it that when I seem to have a bad morning, my sitter always brings up the fact that Corey is so "sensitive". I'm at a loss as to how to handle this. I was standing in the kitchen, talking to Deanna and the boys were upstairs playing, when we heard a thump and a cry. Deanna looked at me and said "I have to deal with Corey crying like that all the time". It wasn't said maliciously, but it still bothers me. I can't help that Corey is somewhat sensitive (takes after his daddy). I try my best to deal with it and try and toughen him up, but it's not easy. Some days, he's better.

At Thanksgiving at Jim's house, Corey was sitting next to cousin Ryan, when Ryan reached over and grabbed some turkey off Corey's plate. Corey immediately started to cry and wailed that Ryan stole his food. I tried to explain to him that Ryan was just kidding and it wasn't a big deal. It took forever to calm him down. I don't know how to impress upon Corey to stand up for himself and not to let people walk all over him. If something happens that he doesn't like, his tactic is to just cry and freak out. I'm so worried about when he starts Kindergarten. I'm afraid he's going to be one of those kids that cries all the time and gets picked on and beat up. I'm hoping its the age and that he will grow out of it. He has definately made improvements over the last few months since he has been in pre-school in his shyness, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I try to stress to him that he needs to stand up for himself and if someone does something he doesn't like to speak up. But, since he's only 4, it goes right over his head.

No comments: