Last night, Corey was playing on the floor with some magnets. I told him to get them cleaned up so he could get a bath and get ready for bed. Jerry then told him the same thing. After what seemed like an eternity, he still hadn't cleaned up the magnets because he was too busy playing. I motioned for him to come over to me so I could tell him something. I whispered in his ear that he needed to get the magnets cleaned up or they were going to get thrown away, so he better get a move on it. He shook his head and seemed to understand.
Then, he went right back to playing and not picking up the magnets. Finally, Jerry got up and told him that the magnets were going in the trash since he didn't pick them up in the time frame requested. He pouted a little bit and Jerry walked out of the room to go get a wal mart to put the toys in to. Then, Corey looked at me and jutted his chin out and gave me a look of sheer defiance and knocked over the container that had a few magnets in it, just testing me. I was stunned at the look and had to take a few minutes to get my wits about me, then I banished him to his room in time out. I followed him in to his room and told him to sit there and think about how mean and nasty he just was and how he needs to listen when he's told to do something. He never cried or showed any remorse.
I left him in his room for a good 15 minutes, then finally told him he could come out. He walked out a little sheepishly and I asked him what he needed to say. He apologized for not listening and then apologized for being mean and nasty. Then, it like the whole incident didn't even happen...he put it out of his head.
I don't know how else to reach into his head and make him understand how to listen....nothing seems to phase him lately. We take away toys, we take away priviledges but he still doesn't listen.
It reminds me of the comedy bit that Bill Cosby used to do. He would be talking to one of his children and would ask the child to "come here", meaning that the child should stop what he was doing and walk over and stand next to Mr. Cosby. Of course, Cosby would have to say "come here", "come here" and point to the floor directly in front of him several times before the child listened and cooperated. I remember that being a funny bit when I first heard it. Now, it's my reality! I'm constantly saying thing like....."Corey, come here so we can wipe your nose. No, come here. Corey....come HERE!!!! HERE!!!" AAARRGGGHHHH!!!!!
My mother always says paybacks are hell. Was I that bad of a child?!
Tuesday, January 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment