Thursday, March 19, 2009

Passing Tests and Getting Awards

Corey passed the hunter safety class! Yeah! He was pretty excited. We celebrated by going out to dinner Saturday night with the Gavins. I know Jerry was pretty proud of his boy. I am too - of course I didn't want him to fail the course, but now he can be officialy dangerous with a weapon, as recognized by the State of Ilinois. Sigh.

Yesterday, Corey won the Principal's Award at school for doing something good. He cleaned up a soap mess in the bathroom (don't know if it was his or not??) and I guess his teacher must have nominated him, so he got a signed certificate from Principal Juhas and a coupon for a free pizza from Casey's. Pretty darn excited about that pizza certificate, let me tell you! And the certificate hangs proudly up on the frig, right next to the perfect score on the Abraham Lincoln/George Washington test that he got a 100% on a few weeks ago. That's my boy. I sure hope these achievements last as school goes on.

Tomorrow, we get report cards. I'm hoping that his B went up to an A in English. He's smart and capable of great grades, he just doesn't slow down and take the time to focus on his work. We had a conversation with Mrs. Jones, his teacher, about this. She promised to let us know if it was getting out of control. FOr the most part, his grades this past semester have been A's and B's - one C on a paper last week, so I think he'll do okay this quarter. Jerry and I told him that if his grades really started slipping that he would lose his video game priviledges. Boy, that one really hit home. He got caught talking during class last week and his spelling pre-test was taken away from him - he came home and told me what happened and immediately started crying, all worried that his grades were going to be bad and he would lose his video games. Funny, not worried about talking in class, only worried about losing video games. Double sigh.

This weekend is the big school auction, our major fundraiser for the year. I'm taking off work to help set up tomorrow. I really do enjoy being a part of the PTA; although sometimes you do get frustrated that you feel like the same small group of people are the only ones who do the volunteer work. But, it's worth it if its for Corey's school and benefits him. Last year's auction paid for the playground that he got to use every day at recess. And will also pay for an online grade checking system that next year will help me keep track of his grades as they happen. I'll try to remember those benefits when it's late tomorrow night and we're still setting up :)

The next round of school pictures is next Monday. I can't believe the school year is almost over already. Where did it go? Before I know it, i'm going to have a
3rd grader!!!!

No comments: