Monday, March 14, 2005

Bought Out

Well, it's been two weeks since the official announcement that May has been bought by Federated. What an emotional, stressful time it has been. I'd really like to stick it out at May until the "change in control" happens, but it's a long road ahead and I'm not sure it's the best thing to do.
I'm terrified of having to look for a new job. I've grown very comfortable in my position and am reluctant to have to learn how to sell myself again. I would of course like to maintain my current lifestyle so in order to do that, I'll probably have to look for jobs in St. Louis. Do I want to stay in the same field or start all over? I hope I can find something that I really enjoy that also lets me be a mom and leave when I need to. I'm gonna lose 3 weeks of vacation. I've been with May for almost 9 years. It's frustrating and makes me angry that I have no choices. I don't expect that Federated would offer me a job after the CIC. I'm certainly not relocating.
The shareholders are supposed to vote in June on the merger, so my plan is to stick it out til then for sure, then see what happens. My gut feeling is that once the vote is approved, May will start closing departments and/or getting rid of people to save money. My severance "package" is 4 weeks pay, plus 2 weeks for every year of service. That would give me almost 5 months of pay, provided that I am terminated sometime after the merger. It sounds good on paper, but it's really scary to commit to sticking it out and then finding out that there's nothing for you. I don't believe a word that May says about the severance. I want something definate, in writing, that guarantees me severance if I stick it out and then lose my job.
It would be nice to have a job where I got off at a decent hour and could actually pick Corey up from daycare. It would be nice to have flex time and be able to come and go like an adult, instead of being treated like a child at May. I'm going to keep my eyes open and watch the market and be aware of what's available and what I'm qualified for.
First things first, I have to write a resume!!!! Ouch.

No comments: