Thursday, April 21, 2005

Catch Up

I'm really disappointed in myself for not keeping up with this blog. It's been so long since I've written, I don't even know where to start.

April started off uneventful. Then it was my birthday....which I would just as soon forget about. I have moved into that next "bracket". You know, when you're answering a questionairre about yourself and it ages for your age group....I used to be in the 25-34 range. Now, I'm in the 35-41 range! Freaky. I'm old. At least in years. It still boggles my mind that I'm 35. I can remember being 15 when my mom was 30, thinking that was old.

Corey has been doing much better at Karate lessons. He's listening much better and following directions. We've been trying to work with him as much as we can.

He started swim lessons last weekend. I was a little concerned, because he was starting to get what I thought was a little cold. Runny nose and cough. But, he did okay.

However, Tuesday was a different story. I got a call at work that Jerry was on his way to pick Corey up because he had puked.
Uh-oh. Corey never pukes. I can count on one hand the number of times he's ever puked. Needless to say, it freaked him out. He told Deanna that he knew Daddy would be upset with him for puking. I don't know where that came from, but I guess in the mind of a child, it makes sense.

Jerry got him to the doctor on Wednesday and he was diagnosed with a "stomach bug". Dr. Mary also noticed his cough and droopy eyes and suggested putting him on some allergy medicine once the bug clears up. I've been wanting to do that for some time. After all, he is my child and is going to suffer from some type of allergy. She gave him a 2 week supply of Cingulair to see how it works. If it clears up, then comes back after a while, we'll look into getting him on maintenance allergy medicine. I take an allergy pill twice a day to keep on top of mine.

Tuesday night was rough. His fever was 103.2 at 3:00 a.m. Wednesday was equally as rough, with a fever almost all day and NOTHING to eat. He refused to eat anything and was generally crabby and laid on the couch like a limp noodle. He only had a total of 4 crackers with a little bit of cheese over the course of the day. Jerry managed to get him to eat a popsicle later in the evening. He woke up this morning, fever free, but still pretty listless and no appetite. Ruth came out to stay with him.

She said that after trying to get him to eat lunch, he complained of his stomach hurting. He proceeded to use the bathroom and had a bout of diarrhea, following by another bout a short time later. After that second round, she said he was like a new child. He perked up and was ready to eat something and was more like his normal self. He's had a couple more bouts as the day has progressed, but I can tell that he's feeling much better. He's up running around and playing again and arguing with me, so I know he's better.

I'm going to keep him home from school tomorrow and no karate and hopefully, by Saturday, maybe he can go to swim lessons. I hate having a sick child. I feel utterly and totally useless. He's still not to a point where he can really tell me what's hurting, so I have to drag it out of him most of the time.

Kids!

No comments: