Yeah! The surgery is over and I'm home recouperating.
Mom and Jerry sat with me on Thursday morning until they came to get me for surgery. It was nice to have someone to talk to to take my mind off of the surgery. Mom is good about breaking the ice and making me feel comfortable. We talked about all kinds of things and the nurses that checked me in were hysterical! Definately a very good experience at the hospital with the staff. They didn't lose me and operated on the right thing!
Once I got wheeled down the hall to the surgery unit, the reality started to creep in and I had a little emotional breakdown. All alone, behind a curtain, wondering, waiting, it was quite terrifying. I think there should always be someone with a person who is about to have surgery. Anyway, I got some "happy" drugs shortly after that and was able to relax and the next thing I know I was in recovery. The surgery was at 10:00 a.m. and I was still in recovery at 12:30, trying to wake up. I remember getting a dose of pain meds while still in recovery, then I remember being wheeled back to the room where Mom and Jerry could come in.
When I finally did wake up, I threw up! Guess the anesthesia didn't settle too well with my stomach and apparently, there were remants of blood and the like from the surgery that drain into the stomach (I know....gross). Once I threw up, I did feel a lot better! The nurses made sure to call Dr. Dobbs to let him know my "condition" and he prescribed a pain med with a nausau med that helped. Laying there in that recliner....yeah, it's a recliner, not a bed was so uncomfortable. My mom told me later that a commented several times about how uncomfortable the chair was. My legs hung off the end and there was no pillow to lay my head on....to me that's uncomfortable! I don't really remember a lot of what happened in that room, other than trying to wake up. I finally was able to get dressed and got out of there sometime after 3:00 that afternoon....according to my mom. Jerry drove me home and I immediately crawled into bed and slept....pretty much for the next two days! Unfortunately, it was a uncomfortable sleep....I'd sleep for an hour then wake up and have to pee.....really badly.....then go back to sleep for another hour, then pee. I guess I got lots of fluids during the surgery and it took a while to get them out!
I started feeling more human on Saturday, and I pulled a huge piece of packing out of my nose which helped tremendously! I don't know if I was supposed to do that, but it was driving me crazy. I looked like I had been in a fight, my right side of my nose was all swollen and I couldn't breathe, so I took matters into my own hand. Getting that packing out of there made my nose look more normal.
I took my last dose of pain meds sometime on Saturday and I haven't had any since. I've just been taking ibuprofen. I'm quite proud of that! I don't take pain too well, and I was worried that I would be doped up for weeks!
Corey has been so sweet during the whole thing. He comes into the bedroom and gently rubs my arm and askes me how I'm doing. While Jerry was outside yesterday, we played video games in the basement for a couple of hours. He's really getting the hang of the ATV Quad game and was actually doing better than me! Guess it won't be long and he'll be on this computer! He stayed with Dad all day Thursday, and then ended up spending the night again with mom and dad on Thursday night so Jerry didn't have to worry about him. Corey went to daycare as usual on Friday. We got a call from Deanna around lunch time that he had threw up! Apparently, he wolfed down his food at McDonald's and then went on the playground to play and got overheated and barfed all over the playground! EWW! I knew there was a reason I didn't like him playing on those playgrounds! You know that they probably didn't clean it very well afterwards....if at all! Anyway, Deanna put him down for a nap and when he woke up, he was fine. Jerry took him to Karate Friday night and he did good. Mom came by after work and sat with me until Jerry got back. I think she was a little worried about me....of course - she's a mom and that's what moms are supposed to do - but I couldn't imagine Corey having some type of surgery and not being there. I'm glad she was there for me.
Whew..this is a long one. I'm home today, tomorrow and Wednesday to recover and plan to get back to work on Thursday. Guess we'll see how it goes. I'm really tired right now and need to go find something to eat for lunch. I need to rebuild my strength right now, but that's hard to do when you're so tired you don't want to do anything. It's a strain sitting up at the computer typing this. But, I'm so bored of laying in bed and watching tv. I'm about to go crazy! Maybe I'll clean the house.......NAH!!!!!!!!
Monday, July 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment