Saturday, August 27, 2005

Corey Sick

Got home on the evening of the 16th to Corey laying on the couch, burning up with fever. I say burning up, because I can tell when he has a fever and he always feels like he's going to explode from the heat. Took his temperate and it was only in the high 99's. Jerry had just given him some motrin and within a half hour or so, he wasn't as hot, but you could tell he wasn't feeling quite right.

The next morning, I went ahead and got him ready to go, took his temperate and it was fine, and got him to Deanna's. The whole time I was thinking what a terrible mother I was for leaving him at daycare when I probably should be keeping him home. Deanna wasn't there, she was off taking Easton to his first day of kindergarden. I told Grampy (Deanna's dad) to tell her to call me if he got any worse.

Sure enough, I got to work and was barely there 30 minutes when she called and said his fever was up and he was sick. I tidied up my desk and bailed.

The week before when Corey was at Grandma Kelso's house visiting with Ryan, who we later found out just got tested for mono and it was positive. So I called the doctor on my way home from work and explained the situation to them. They were able to get him in at 10:30 that morning.

The test for mono is a blood test and Corey did really good with the needle. He cried a little at first when the needle went in, then was fascinated that the blood coming out was his. He thought it was cool!

Dr. Samson was concerned about his tonsils (which are always huge), but more so than normal were swollen. Diagnosis was "virus", which of course means you can't do anything for it. Rest, plenty of liquids, etc. It's amazing that in this day and age of medical advancement, you can't do anything for the common cold or a virus. Guess it's God's way of keeping us humble.

We kept Corey home for the rest of the week and no karate and swim lessons. He finally was back to himself by Sunday. Mono test was negative.

I did make a phone call to the pediatric dept. at Children's and have an appt. on Oct. 16. His tonsils are still huge and I think he's not hearing the way he should, so we'll get it checked out.

No comments: