So, I dropped Corey off at his first day of Camp this morning. He was pretty excited about it! I'm glad to see that he's looking forward to it. It is hell on mommy, though.
I don't want my baby to grow up. Driving to camp, Corey called out "mommy?" and I replied "What, baby?", to which he replied "How come you always call me baby?". I told him that he will always be my baby, but I would try not to say that anymore since he is a big grown up boy. He said "good".
There were about 6-7 kids already there at camp when we got there. I signed him in and stood there for a few minutes, checking out the digs. It's a big enclosed pavillion, with lots of tables and ceiling fans and tubs and tubs of toys and stuff to do. One girl was playing with play-doh and another was playing soccer. Jaime, the camp director, was there, greeting parents. Him and Corey hit it off with high-fives. When I went to leave, I gave Corey a high-five, and he tackled me with a hug, then was all smiles and ready to go play with the other kids.
I walked to my car, and started bawling my eyes out and cried all the way to work. That was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Leave my baby in the care of total strangers with kids he doesn't know, all alone. I would imagine that I have much more apprehension and fear than he does (that's my job to worry, I'm a mom!). I think it will be good for him to be around other kids and will help to get him ready for kindergarten.
I can't wait to pick him up today to see how it went. I hope that he maintains the same enthusiasm all summer as he did today.
Monday, May 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment