Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Six Flags

Yesterday, we took Corey to Six Flags. He really liked it - I don't know if he was quite sure what to expect at first. We had been talking about a lot of the rides for a couple of days, trying to get him excited, but I don't think he really understand the size and magnitude. Started the day off at Cracker Barrel for Breakfast where he wolfed down a bunch of pancakes. We played the little game they have there where you have to end up with one peg in triangle by jumping each peg to eliminate them (kind of like checkers) - we ended up with three and officialy announced ourselves as dunces! He thought that was fun.

Got to the park a little after 10:30 - right at opening time. We rode the Antique Cars first - he was looking forward to getting to steer and hit the gas all by himself. But having to wait in line for 30 minutes I don't think he was prepared for. I kept trying to get him excited - hoping that the whole day wasn't going to be like this. We followed that with the Log Flume and Thunder River - definately big hits because of course we all got drenched! And those lines moved much faster - which was good. Then we rode The Boss. Now, not having been to Six Flags in about 10 years, Jerry and I hadn't ridden the Boss yet - the new wooden roller coaster. Had I known what it was going to be like, I would have skipped it. It was the most terrifying ride I've ever been on! Corey sat with me, and once it started moving, I knew I was in trouble. I was terrified he was going to come out of the seat, first and foremost - then it was going so fast I could hardly keep myself together. I've never been on a roller coaster where I was praying for it to be over right after it started! He had a look on his face that was not one of pleasure - he looked shell-shocked - and I was doing everything in my power to make sure he didn't get thrown out. I'm thinking that they probably need to raise the height restriction on that one! Anyway, we get off and he says he liked it, but he doesn't want to do that one again. I'm thinking - no problem! Of course, then I was worried that we scarred him for the rest of the trip, but we did the Mine Train next - which he LOVED - and then we did the Screamin' Eagle - which he also loved, so it wasn't so bad. He even had his arms up on the Mine Train, mimicking other kids he saw - which I know was hard on Jerry - since for the rest of trip he rode the rides with Jerry and not me. I just didn't feel comfortable on the coasters anymore after the Boss experience.

I don't remember roller coasters being so painful! I felt like my teeth were going to be rattled out of my head and my body just literally hurt the entire time on all of them. But Corey was just absolutely thrilled by it all. He loved the Ninja - the one that goes upside down and does corkscrews (I avoided that one to spare my neck.) When it was time to go, he didn't want to leave - go figure! He kept changing his favorite ride. First it was the Mine Train, then it was Screaming Eagle, then it was the Log Flume, then back to Mine Train....etc., etc.

Corey and I went on the Tidal Wave, while Jerry watched. We got absolutely soaked. It took hours to dry off - even our underwear got wet. You stand on a bridge over the boat that comes crashing down - it's like a typhoon hits you. The look on his face when that water hit him was just priceless.

We had some problems with his ear when the day started. He was complaining of it feeling funny. Well, he was playing in the bathtub a couple of nights before, going underwater, and I think he got a lot of water in his ears. So, all day, he kept getting this nasty gross stuff coming out of his ears. But, it didn't really bother him all that much, other than he could feel it coming out, and it was disgusting when it did come out. I think the Boss was instrumental in knocking a lot of it out! No fever, no pain, just gross ear stuff - so I'm keeping an eye on it. Since he has tubes in his ears, he really shouldn't be going underwater in the tub without ear plugs - my fault I guess, for letting him use his goggles and play. But the tubes have been in for 18 months now - I guess I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. They are still "leaking" somewhat today - I'm adapting a wait and see attitude.

Anyway, we got home about 8:00 and crashed! Definitely a long day!

No comments: