Saturday, February 09, 2008

Corey Gets Glasses


It's something I should have done years ago, take Corey to the eye doctor and get him checked out. He's always had a lazy right eye, but I guess I thought it wasn't that serious, or it would go away on it's own. Well, I was wrong. I finally got around to making an appt for him with an eye doctor, and that same day, I get home and in the mail is a letter from the school nurse, indicating that he had an eye exam at school and that they notice some problems with his right eye and that he should follow up with an eye doctor. Well, it took some time to get in with the doctor, about 3 weeks, but we finally went on January 26th.

The eye doctor was really good with Corey. Dr. Kempf - I think he was 12 (HA!) - a former graduate of MCS, gave Corey a thorough exam, then told us that Corey is farsighted, but because his right eye was so strained from trying to refocus itself, he wasn't able to get a full reading on his prescription. So, we had to make another appointment to come back to have drops put in his eyes that would relax the muscles so Dr. Kempf could get a true reading on his prescription.

That was a week later, and the drops completely dilated Corey's eyes - he looked really funny for about 2 days and had trouble seeing, but the doctor was able to get a reading. His vision is 20/70. Also, part of the treatment is for Corey to wear an eye patch over his good eye in an attempt to retrain the lazy eye to focus correctly when he's doing activities like reading, or playing video games. He hates the patch - can't say that I blame him - but I think he's getting used to it.

We picked up his glasses last Thursday - he really does look cute in them! And, he doesn't seem to have any issues with wearing them. He was excited to go pick them up, and listened intently when the lady explained to him how to put them on and take them off. "On the face or in the case" is the motto he must live by now. I'm hoping that over time, his eyes will correct themselves and he won't have to wear the glasses all the time.

No comments: