Crazy week - Corey got the dreaded flu on Sunday, fortunately not the swine flu, but flu just the same and just as nasty. It came out of nowhere - fever, listlessness, cough - and that sad "mommy, fix me" look in his eyes. Torture for any mom - you just want to take away that pain and misery from them. After a doctor visit on Monday afternoon, he of course missed Monday, then Tuesday, then Wednesday was Vets Day, so there was no school (and also Jerry's 40th birthday). We got a prescription for Tamiflu for us both, since I have the colitis/Crohn's thing going on (I'm high risk for infection). I had hoped that he would be able to go back to school on Thursday, his 9th birthday, but no such luck. He awoke to a sore throat and a worse cough - which resulted in the 2nd trip to the doctor for the week. A prescription for an inhaler to break up and cough, and another day on the couch. Poor kid - he was worn out from being worn out. And mom was worn out from playing nursemaid for 2-1/2 of those 4 days.
Today was back to school, and when I picked him up tonight, I could tell he was glad to be coming home. Said he had a rough morning - from banging his knee in the bathroom, to tripping up during recess - it's tough on a kid to be laying flat for 5 days and then suddenly be thrust back into school life, jostling around from here to there.
When he got his homework yesterday from Drew, his buddy in class, all his classmates sent home Get Well/Happy Birthday cards for him. So sweet - made me want to cry. The cards from the boys were hysterical, talking about being best buds and how much they missed him. The cards from the girls were all flowery and cute. It certainly did perk him up a little to see all the cards. That's something I will definitely save for a rainy day.
We have his family birthday planned for Sunday, the 15th. I hope by then he's feeling much better and perked up. You can tell just by looking at him that he's not quite himself just yet. The doctor says that this cough could hang on for weeks. It sounds terrible - raspy and like his lungs are going to come tumbling out of his chest. I just hope that neither I or Jerry get anything.
Friday, November 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment