My baby is reading at a level comparable to that of a sixth grader. 6th grade. Wow. How proud am I??!!! We had a great parent/teacher conference with his third grade teacher, Mrs. Weaver. She had nothing but great things to say about Corey. He's a good student, and she says its normal that the comprehension is tough for him. It's the transition from 2nd to 3rd where lots of kids have difficulty. A different way of answering questions where the kids have to think about how they are answering, instead of checking a, b, c or d. And they have to write in complete sentences, which he is having a hard time with now. But, I think he'll get there. Mrs. Weaver is not at all concerned - she says it will come with time. I trust her, she's been teaching 3rd grade for 10 years now.
Corey received 5 A's and 2 B's for first quarter - which is fabulous! I am so proud of him - words can't even describe how you feel when your child is excelling at something. And he likes to read, still, so I'm very happy about that. Not too crazy about social studies, and we struggle some nights, but I do my best to make it fun and help him through the studying, which is really new for him.
Doing really great on spelling - he's passed every pre-test but one this year, and has been able to spell all the bonus words with little or no practice. Again, proud moments just to see how excited he is when he blows through the pre-test.
Last week was the class Halloween party, which was fun. The kids played games and then had a small treat and I was glad to be able to be there to be a part of it. I elected not to sign up for room captain this year (I'm just really not good at that), but signed up as room parent, so I helped with games and brought in good ole Tribout's trinkets for the treat bags. I love seeing Corey's face light up when I walk into class - no better feeling on earth to see him happy to see me there at school for the party. It's fun to watch him interact with his classmates, too, and it's always nice to get to know the other parents and the teacher. There were 4 kids out with H1N1, which is very scary - I'm hoping and praying that it doesn't land in our house! The school and teachers have been doing everything to try to prevent it, but it's just running crazy everywhere!
In 10 more days, Corey will be 9 years old. Yikes. How time flies - seems like only yesterday he was starting kindergarten. He'll be driving before I know it.....
Monday, November 02, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment